The Capitals are not ready to throw the towel on 2021 season, but there is some great optimism going forward and looking into the future. After a great draft that the Capitals believe they landed 3 stud players. Here's another look at what the Capitals are looking forward to.
Bonus: Calen Addison - The smallish offensive defensemen made an impression at Wild camp at the NHL restart, unfortunately the Wild decided to go with experience and that's no slight on Addison, who played great in the scrimmages. It doesn't seem like long before he will be on the squad. He looks to get some experience next year with the big club either as a call up or gets a permanent roster spot.
projection: Top four defencemen/PP qb in the Tyson Barrie(Colorado version) mold
10. Timothy Liljegren - was deemed unfit to play, but still made the extended bubble roster. He's an interesting developing two way defencemen that could play big minutes in the near future. He is a prospect that's being slept on, and when he gets his shot, I think he'll just do fine. With the Leafs cap structur, I don't see him not playing barring injuries.
Projection: Top 4 dman two way dman.
9. Filip Chytil - This guy is someone that could potentially be the best producer on this list, because of the potential wingers he might have for majority of his career. I think he might be the biggest beneficiary of the Lafriniere stakes. With Panarin on the top line with Zib, It's likely Alexis will play with either Chytil or Strome. I think it's more likely they give Chytil a chance to step up and play alongside Alexis. With his speed and nose for the net, I think it's a more ideal fit. Excited to see the next steps he takes.
projection: Middle 6 forward with upside.
8. Morgan Frost - One of the more interesting guys. This guy could be the best on this list, absolutely love him. He has had a call up this year and preformed well. I also understand the flyers want to be patient with him, and develop him try him as a center rather than just leaving him out on the wing Unless they got no choice.
projection: Top 6 playmaking forward
7. Jamie Drysdale- there are some players just defined by a certain skill, when you think of skating as a defencemen you think Neidemeyer, Coffey, Hughes and maybe another handful. I think Drysdale will be added to that list(maybe not the best but definitely is an attribute he should be remembered for), he should easily go in the top 10 this draft. His underrated offensive game probably has some guys sour on his potential, but he also played on a really shitty team. Don't be fooled this guy is a stud.
Projection: Top Pairing defencemen
Comparable: Let's go a bit old school, Scott Neidemeyer. When you think of Neidemeyer you think Skating, and the same for Drysdale.
6. Dominik Kubalik: The 24 year coming out party came during the playoffs, despite scoring 30 goals this year in 68 games. He had 2 goals and 3 assists in one game against the Oilers and looks like a bonafide top 6 scoring winger. His quick release is trouble for any goalie, and he seems to find that weak spot in the defence and just rips it. He also has some nasty hand eye coordination that makes him dangerous for anytime he's around the net. Just look at the goal he scored against the leafs from a foot high saucer from Toews.
Projection: Top 6; 30 goal scorer.
5. Rasmus Sandin- The main leafs most talked about prospect all year until the Nick Robertson hype train came rolling through. A little of his hype died down but he was solid in every game he played in the nhl and he was the best player in the WJC for Sweden. He seems to have a spot locked up next year with the leafs with the common theme...the leafs cap space situation.
Projection: Top Pairing Defensemen
Comparable: Zack Werenski
4. Nick Robertson- The 18 year old Robertson made his nhl debut this year in the playoffs for the leafs. After a remarkable OHL season, he jumped straight into the leafs lineup making and did not look out of place. His high energy made you notice every time he is on the ice, he also had some premium scoring chances. He only managed one goal but again with the leafs cap situation he has a role next year with the leafs all but locked up.
Projection: high energy scoring winger
Comparable: Brad Marchand
3. Nick Suzuki - This is one player that's been a revelation in bubble hockey. Everyone knew his offensive upside but his high IQ defensive play surprised people as he was not used on the PK much through the year and all of sudden he is killing 5 on 3s in the PLAYOFFS against Crosby and Malkin! He is also generating chances from the man disadvantage. He should be a great one.
Projection: Two-Way Top 6 Center.
Comparable: Patrice Bergeron
1b. Cole Caufield - Mr Goal Caufield known for his shot and his knack for scoring goals. Drafted 3rd overall by the Capitals, the Capitals obviously saw more. I believe at the nhl level his playmaking will be on full display, when you have a player known for his shot, someones cheating and there opens up passing lanes. the Marty St Louis comparable is interesting,I feel as Caufield gets stronger, and faster that's what kind of upside you can expect from him.
projection- scoring winger with underrated high upside playmaking.
Comparable- Marty St. Louis.
1a. Marco Rossi - This kid I feel is special, Just a high level hockey iq, great vision, and seems to always be in the right spot. Despite being 5'9 he has a great low center of gravity, great puck possession, and not afraid to get physical. Craig Button compared him to Nicklas Backstrom, despite the discrepancy in size, it's a guy he compares to well. The game slows down for him, and he is able to see the game faster than others. An absolute stud.
Projection- top line playmaker
Comparable- Nicklas Backstrom